If you are thinking “I haven’t got time to read this article!!!” then reading this article is the FIRST thing you need to do! Life is busy – I get it – but when is it too busy?
Here are 6 signs you need to redress the balance:
- You find yourself saying “I don’t have time” multiple times a day. The more we reinforce that message to ourselves the less time we magically seem to have. “I don’t have time” is one of the most stress inducing sentences in the English language. I would personally like to ban us all from saying it – it’s a stressful LIE (yes, lie, you heard me right!) we keep telling ourselves. It’s far more accurate, and much more relaxing, to tell ourselves (and others) the truth, “I’m choosing to prioritise this thing/task/person right now – and I’m good with that”. Life is full of choices – let’s stop fighting time and own the fact we make choices about what we put in it.
- If you are waking up feeling tired. If you are finding that sleep is not as restorative as it once was and you are actually waking up feeling tired you might be suffering from the early stages of Adrenal Fatigue. This can get very serious but is very easy to remedy if you catch it early and listen to your body. You can take a quick quiz here to see if this is an issue for you.
- You are USING coffee to get through. That’s USING coffee, like using a drug, as opposed to having a coffee because it tastes nice. Be honest. If you are USING it, rather than just drinking it, you need to have a think about when you can take a break and recharge your mind and body properly.
- Your phone is surgically attached to your body. Yeah. That. If you are checking your phone a zillion times a day you may be getting addicted to the dopamine response it creates. It’s a sign that you need to slow down and unplug – just for a bit. Try setting some digital boundaries and have at least an hour before bed with no screen to wind down and let your natural melatonin production recalibrate.
- You wear “I’m sooooooo busy” like a badge of honour. If your answer to “How are you?” is perpetual busyness rather than “I am excellent thankyou – how are you?” it’s time to look at getting off the treadmill for a bit.
- You can’t think of the last time you had fun. Life is supposed to be fun, yo! It’s not meant to be one never ending To Do list. A sure sign of overwhelm and needing to desperately slow down is when you can’t remember when you last did something for fun, or had a heap of spontanteous fun. If you can’t recall the last time you laughed til you cried your balance is seriously out of whack.
Life is a marathon not a sprint, y’all. We are not designed to live at “flat out” all day every day. We can do it temporarily , but then it’s important to regroup and recharge for the next campaign. If you have answered “yes” to two or more of the above here are a few resources for you to help you take a well deserved pit stop:
Do you need to slow down?