We are lucky, lucky people. Lucky!
We live in a time and location of almost infinite abundance and choice. We have more choices at our disposal than any generation that came before us. We have the sum of all human knowledge accessible 24/7 in the palm of our hands. We live in the age of not just unlimited information, but of unlimited choice. It’s a great time to be on planet Earth.
Our choices define us. Who we are. The life we lead. The future that’s coming for us.
Our choices lay bare our priorities and our principles. Even when we think we have no choice we always have a choice. The only thing we HAVE to do is breathe, everything after that is a choice. Annoying, but true.
Our choices reveal our true priorities. Not what we say our priorities are – but what they REALLY are. Other people’s choices say the same about them – they are a literal demonstration of true priority in action.
We think we are not choosing when we are.
The truth of life is that in every moment that we say YES to one thing, we are saying NO to something else.
- We say yes to being kind and patient to the supermarket checkout person and no to being irritable and rushed.
- We say yes to Netflix and couch time and no to a walk before dinner.
- We say yes to one form of income and no to another.
- We say yes to letting someone go before us in the traffic and no to closing the gap and making them wait.
- Or we say yes to playing with the kids and no to playing with our phone.
Life can sometimes get off course when we forget that every single moment we absolutely have a choice.
What and who are you saying yes to? What and who are you saying no to?
A million tiny sovereign choices, every hour, day, week are what comprise our life.
Your choices define you. Choose well.