Want to get your butt off the sofa? Well you need to read my article in this week’s New Zealand Herald – it’s had a lot of shares and a lot of comments from fitness professionals on their blogs, which has been super pleasing.
“This is one of the best articles I have read on fitness EVER… thanks Louise your articles are always such an inspiration” ~ Diana.
“Great article Louise – I have shared it on my page because I think it is a must read for all!” ~ Emily
You can read it right here.
So, for you lovely people, I thought I would continue the theme this week with 10 quotes designed for you to pick your favourite and tape it to the treadmill/the fridge/your computer monitor to get you moving and looking after your body the way you know you want to.
Here are my Top 10 – my favourite easily the last (*bad language warning!).
1. Sooooo unutterably true this should be taped to very fridge in the land.
“Those who think they have not time for bodily exercise will sooner or later have to find time for illness.” ~Edward Stanley
2. Pooh Bear says get your trainers on: if Pooh can do it: so can you!
“A bear, however hard he tries, grows tubby without exercise.” ~ A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
3. Okay, this one isn’t exactly motivating but it’s very clever and funny so I’ve let it through:
“I’m so unfamiliar with the gym, I call it James!” ~ Ellen DeGeneres
4. I’ve got to say I couldn’t agree with this more. I’ve never spent less on clothes than when I have been fit. Everything I already have looks better – it’s saved a fortune. Get fit: shop less!
“A fit, healthy body—that is the best fashion statement” ~ Jess C. Scott
5. Yup. There is only one way. Doing it. Then doing it again. And again. And again. It’s one of the things in life we cannot fix instantly with a credit card. Which is good – most of the most valuable things in life can’t. It’s a good thing. Effort. Self love. Consistency. Not dollars.
“Physical fitness can neither be achieved by wishful thinking nor outright purchase”. ~Joseph Pilates
6. Consistency. See above. All about it.
“There are really only two requirements when it comes to exercise. One is that you do it. The other is that you continue to do it.”
~The New Glucose Revolution for Diabetes by Jennie Brand-Miller, Kaye Foster-Powell, Stephen Colagiuri, Alan W. Barclay
7. You know, I so believe in this. I have had injuries serious enough to stop me walking let alone running, not for months but for YEARS. There was a guy in my rehab/physio. In a wheelchair. Working out with such focus and determination. Doing what he could with what he had. It was SO inspirational, and just the kick in the pants I needed not to feel sorry for myself but to feel grateful that these days I actually get to exercise. It’s a choice I get to make. So I make it.
“The only valid excuse for not exercising is paralysis.” ~Moira Nordholt, feelgoodguru.com
8. Uhuh. We might want longer legs or bigger boobs or whatnot, but at the end of the day we have to work with what we have. We get to start where we are. We do best when we accept and get to love what we have, and work with it and not punish it for not being “perfect”. We only get one body. It’s out duty of care to look after it. Which actually it turns out is a kinda privilege not a chore.
“Take care of your body. It’s the only place you have to live.” ~ Jim Rohn
9. It’s called a “work out” not an “easy out” for a reason…
“I’m not telling you it’s going to be easy, I’m telling you it’s going to be worth it.”~ Art Williams
10. And my personal favourite is this (with apologies in advance to my Mum and Dad (who read every blog religiously, bless their sweet hearts) for the language (Dad always gets cross when I swear on here) – but this is not technically actually ME doing the swearing, right?. I’m just sharing the swearing it because it’s so good, and frankly this is the quote that gets me in the gym with my boxing gloves on. Because the fitter I am physically the fitter I am mentally, emotionally, spiritually – the better equiped I am to make the most of what life sends my way:
So – there you have it. Don’t forget to check out this week’s article on what “Naturally fit people know about exercise” and let me know your thoughts and comments on the above – below!